Saturday 18 February 2012

Bad Cops!

Hey Yo! Just got done watching the new The Big Bang Theory episode, it never gets old and will be the blueprint for all sitcoms to come. I will go further in depth on it down the line. I also watched the new episode of Jersey Shore! Hey don't judge me! Everyone has a crappy show that they just enjoy for some reason or other. For some it's soap operas, for others it's shows like the Biggest Loser, The Apprentice, or The Bachelor and so on and so on. I like to call it TV fast food, it's cheap and greasy and for some odd reason very tasty.

Today I'd like to talk about my third favourite show of all-time.

The Shield


Before Kurt Sutter brought us Sons Of Anarchy, he was one of the lead writers and producers on The Shield (many of the old cast members of The Shield now either have main or guest starring roles in SOA). I remember the first time I saw The Shield on TV. I was so blown away, I went out the next day and brought the first two seasons on DVD, and from there on I was addicted.

The main thing that got me hooked on the show (apart from the brilliant stories, acting and writing) is my second favourite TV character of all time Detective Vic Mackey, played by Michael Chiklis. Chiklis describes Mackey as "a cross between Hannibal Lecter and Dirty Harry." Chiklis does such a wonderful job playing and won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series, in 2002. Mackey and his strike team have the best arrest record in "the Barn", but they also dabble in corruption drugs, murder and theft.

Mackey always has a way to justify his tactics and corruption, his mentality is we do more good then bad. Having said that Mackey is more often then not the hero at the end of the day, as he consistently closes big cases and uses his "questionable" tactics against the worst kinds of criminals being rapists, child molesters and mass murderers etc. 

His personal life is, as to be expected, extremely rocky. Mackey is a man who loves his three children very much and would do anything for them, which he also uses to justify making some money on the side. I could go on and on about Mackey for hours, but the best thing to do would be to watch the show and I'm sure you would agree with me that he's one of the best Television characters of all time.

Back to the show. One of the best things about this show is not just stories, it's the story archs. There is always the one main story line which is the main stay throughout the seasons, then there's a minor story line and then there's pretty much a new case for Detective Dutch Wagenbach and Detective Claudette Wyms (played by Jay Karnes and CCH Pounder). These stories always suck you in emotionally, and have you hanging on every interview or break in the case. Karnes and Pounder are a great acting combination and really bring their characters to life on-screen and are able play off each other really well. The best comparison I can come with would be Riggs and Murtaugh from the Lethal Weapon franchise minus all the silliness.

I've recommended this show to quite a few people and all of them have loved it. So if you haven't already seen it get out there and watch it!


That's all from me today, I've got a few movies lined up to watch and some more Hell on Wheels will be back soon with another post!

MADMIKE OUT!

1 comment: